I did it, I really did it. Having been so ashamed to walk out of my front door for the last month or so I finally pulled up all the thistles, some came up really easily, some broke off, some didn’t hurt and some did. But the point is that it’s done, it doesn’t look perfect but at least it looks like someone lives here now. I need a more permanent solution which involes a layer of plastic underneath the stones – the last one has about rotted away.
So to all my neighbours who must have got really fed up with my lack of effort, I’m sorry it took so long and I’ll try to keep on top of it in the future.